Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Getting the hang of it.

The first couple days of counting points were distressing. I didn't know what I was doing yet, or how to do it with ease, and so I was both annoyed and hungry much of the time. Since then things have vastly improved, especially since I figured out how to incorporate a daily half-ounce of Schaffen Berger 60% cacao dark chocolate (2 points!).

The magnetic whiteboard on the front of the fridge is now covered with a list of snacks sorted by point values. Come home starving? No problem! I know exactly what we have in the fridge and how much it will cost me.

My scale says I've lost 5 lbs. since my first WW weigh-in, but my scale may be different from the WW scale.

5 comments:

Narya said...

Incorporating chocolate (or whatever else makes you happy) is vital to success (success being defined as health and happiness here). And the list of snacks is an extremely good idea as well. I found that the tracking eventually does become kind of automatic, and really helped me calibrate.

kStyle said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Do I remember that you lost weight on your own (ie, not with WW or another program), with the aid of spreadsheets?

Narya said...

Yeah--basically, I counted calories like a madwoman. I did regain some of the weight over the past two years, though I'm working on reversing that trend. I find that, even though I no longer use the spreadsheets, I (1) read labels very carefully, (2) still do calculations in my head, which helps me keep things in check, and (3) still weigh some things--like portions of dried pasta before I cook it--because my previous excursions helped me realize that we do indeed tend to underestimate the size of the portion we're eating. Portion monitoring was very helpful to me. I also discovered that I really could be happy on less of X. Absolutely NO X would make me seriously unhappy, but less of X was fine.

kStyle said...

It's funny, I'm finding that I'm eating a larger volume of food now. Choose the foods that aren't as calorie-dense, and eat away! I needed portion control in the opposite direction. I learned the same thing when I used the Pyramid.

kStyle said...

PS Because, I would get seriously hungry and then fill up on the calorie-dense foods.