Friday, January 9, 2009

Counting Points, Day 1: A Post in List Form

I've made myself some rules to make this process livable:

  1. No goddamn skim milk. It's 1% or nothing.
  2. No goddamn cottage cheese. EVER. Why would I start eating something I would never, ever touch unless trying to lose weight? I will, however, entertain low-fat versions of other, yummy cheeses. Cabot makes a good 75% reduced-fat cheddar.
  3. The point of the egg is the yolk. Any mama chicken or human who likes real food will tell you this. A lifetime of just whites is a prison sentence. Therefore, I will eat either a) one entire egg, or b) one egg plus the whites of another, but there will be yolk.
    (Insert "yolk" pun here.)
I'm feeling optimistic about this process because it seems it will solve the 2 stumbling blocks I encountered when using the Food Guide Pyramid to trim calories this summer.
  1. I was always hungry. Therefore, I was irritable for large swathes of my waking hours.
    WW solution: The food guides place little green diamonds next to filling foods!
  2. I eventually felt lonely in my efforts and it was too easy to slide as a result.
    WW solution: Weekly meetings, which are basically support groups for foodies. "Here is my tribe," I thought. I was very surprised to realize that everyone at WW seemed to really, really like food. These were not brittle, skinny women who loved cottage cheese and battled with themselves to eat less of it. These were foodies. Gourmands. It will be a good group from which to get healthy food tips, because, again, they ain't eating cottage cheese, either.
Finally, my dalliance with the Food Guide Pyramid is giving me a little boost on the WW new "Healthy Eating Guidelines," which are the Food Pyramid set up in a rectangular chart instead.

No comments: