Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Things I learned during the first 5%

I learned a whole lot about weight loss, maintenance, and food as I dropped the first 5% of my original body weight. Here are some of the gems.

1. Healthy food is not necessarily low-calorie food. This is a key error I was making all along.
2. Hershey's is just not worth it. Ghiradelli dark chocolate is. Scharffen Berger? Really worth it.
3. The hot dog/cheese/peanut butter/pizza seems like it will be filling, but it really won't. High-fiber, high-water-content foods are filling.
4. Support is necessary to lose weight. I would not be able to do it by myself.
4a. Do not discuss weight issues with my parents, who try but fail to be supportive. They programmed my food issue buttons; of course they know how to push them!
4b. There are friends with whom I should not eat out. They will try to push the fried appetizers and dessert on me. They may comment excessively about the healthfulness of my food selections.
4b1. DUDE. I don't comment about your food--except maybe flavors and textures! Do not comment on mine!
5. Rolls have more Points than I think. They can destroy a day's or a week's hard work. Ditto for the restaurant bread basket.
5a. It's advisable to have a small snack before dining out, so that I will not face the bread basket when faint from hunger. I could never win that battle unprepared. The bread basket is an admirable foe.
6. It's not really about willpower. It's about preparation and analysis.
7. My favorite mantra from the WW leader: What you did last matters less than what you do next.

Two highly practical points:
1. It's good to keep some Applegate Farms Chicken & Sage sausage in the freezer, so I can microwave one or two when I get that NEED MEAT NOW! feeling. (Just 1 Point per sausage! So satisfying!)
2. If possible, urinate just before weekly weigh-in. Just a little water retention can cause a 1-2 pound weight increase on the scale.

3 comments:

Narya said...

Favorite snacks: high-fiber crackers (usually something like baked triscuit-like crackers; there are better/lower-fat versions), or TJ's Fiberful snacks--only 60 calories and 6 grams of fiber! Which is insanely high.

Bob's Red Mill has some excellent hot cereals, too; the high-fiber one is quite tasty and has flaxseed. I keep several bags in my desk drawer (oatmeal; steel-cut oatmeal; high-fiber w/ flaxseed; oat bran) and they're useful when I need some food to keep from fainting.

BTW, that post is a very mindful approach to the whole project. Yay you!

kStyle said...

Those crackers sound good. I'll have to look them up. I'm a fan of steel cut oats in the slow cooker, myself.

You know--to my surprise--WW actually encourages us to reflect on these sorts of things. The organization--or at least my meeting leader--is pretty darn mindful.

Narya said...

the crackers are by Back to Nature.