Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fifteen pounds off, and my body and mind seem different.

I have now whittled fifteen pounds of fat from my body. The changes in my body are now obvious to me. My waistline is quite concave. My upper belly is mostly flat. The Girls are perkier. I can see that I've improved my waist-to-hip ratio, which is a key marker for health. (I'm glad that I've been doing lots of abs exercises this whole time, because now that enough fat is gone to reveal a waistline, my posture is great, my abs and back are strong.)

It's nice to see and feel tangible results from my efforts. The key skill/mindset I've learned over these fifteen pounds is Stick-To-It-Ness (STIN). STIN requires a patient determination, a constant returning to the present. The ability to return to the present over and over, to let go of that last mistake and proceed forward, requires a lot of mindfulness, a heaping whallop of letting go of the harshly critical inner voices, and categorical banishment of little voice that says, "Hey, you blew lunch. Let's have cake for dinner." I've also learned that some weeks are too chaotic to focus on losing weight, and it's best for me to maintain weight and then resume losing when I have more time and space. The slow boat is best. This is not a sprint to the finish; this is a long stroll to a new place where I plan to live.

Kickin' ass and bitchslapping my inner demons, I lose weight.

5 comments:

Narya said...

Holy cow! That is incredible! Yay you!!

kStyle said...

Thanks! Wheee!

The downside is that fat cells store estrogen, losing weight therefore changes the hormonal composition in the body, and I feel weird when I'm on my moon.

kStyle said...

PS hopefully the hormones will adjust over time.

Narya said...

I'm going to pretend you didn't just write "on my moon." ;-)

I doubt it's just the weight loss/hormone thing, though. When I was in the research study 10 years ago, one woman had vicious PMS. As she changed her diet (high fiber, low fat, less processed stuff), her PMS improved quite a bit, and we were NOT allowed to gain/lose weight, just change diet. Thus, it's also what you're eating/not eating, I bet.

kStyle said...

Eh, I've always had vicious PMS, which is largely controlled by the pill. It's usually worst in the spring, which is handily explained in Asian medicine (Wood Qi!), but to my knowledge has no explanation in allopathic medicine.