Sunday, March 8, 2009

<3 <3 <3 FRUSHI!!!!! <3 <3 <3

I enjoyed Frushi at a party last night--sushi rice molded into little flower shapes with a thin slice of strawberry or kiwi on top. It was a revelation! I probably ate 5 pieces. So sweet, delicious, toothsome, and light. I found the recipe online.

Tip from the hostess: Press the sushi rice into a cookie sheet and then chill in the fridge overnight. Cut with cookie cutters for pretty shapes. Much easier than hand-forming while the rice is hot.

6 comments:

Narya said...

I would think you could use brown rice, too, to up the fiber content.

kStyle said...

Not such a brown rice fan. Also, it needs to be glutinous rice, like sushi rice, to stick together.

Narya said...

See, and I'm not much of a white-rice fan. I'll eat it and be fine w/ it, but I like the taste and texture of brown much better.

kStyle said...

You must cook it better than I do. Also, the frushi rice, in its sweetness and texture, is very much like the rice in the Portuguese rice pudding my grandmother used to make.

Narya said...

What's wrong with your brown rice? I also like to mix mine with wild rice (yes, I know, not a rice but a grass), which completely rocks. I like using arborio rice for rice pudding.

kStyle said...

It takes forever, and then it comes out mushy on the tips and too chewy (undercooked) in the middle.

Truth be told, I usually prefer white rice even to expertly cooked brown.