Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Welcome to Plateau Town!

I dropped 8 pounds easily, and now I am hovering. Half a pound down, 2 pounds up, 2 pounds down, half a pound up. Last night I went to the WW meeting with a friend who happens to be a fitness professional. I asked her about body weight set points. She said that yes, she has experienced them, too--certain weights where your body decides it's happy and does not want to budge.

Thankfully, my friend is a fitness professional! She had some good tips. (WW does not have much to say about fitness. Their advice can be summed up in one word: Move! Not very nuanced.)

Here are her ideas for leaving Plateau Town in the rear view mirror:

1. Cardio, cardio, cardio. 5-7 days/week.
2. Try exercising in the morning to jack up metabolism for the whole day. (Not so feasible for me...)
3. Don't use all the food Points earned through exercise. You are allowed to let them go.

She gave me a mantra: Muscle is heavier than fat. Muscle takes up less space, Muscle burns more per hour than any part of your bod...

I was dismayed to find the WW scale said I'd gained half a pound, but the home scale said I'd lost one. My friend told me it was probably water weight. Sure enough, I came home and stepped on the scale: Same weight as at the meeting. Then I peed and tried again: One pound lighter.

No more chugging water and jasmine tea before meetings!

2 comments:

Narya said...

better hovering than hoovering . . .

I had a much longer comment about the greatness of moving around, but blogger et it.

kStyle said...

Ha! That's good. Another mantra!